Wednesday, October 19, 2011

[HamBrewers] Our good friend VU2VWN goes SK

 

Friends,


I got a call from my friend VU2GHB just now and came to know of the sad demise of  our good friend Vasant VU2VWN.
I understand, it was a massive heart attack he succumbed to while he was on his pilgrimage to Bhadrinath.

In the 80s almost every new ham / homebrewer was using the VWN QRP designed by him and was on air on CW/AM as
soon as they got their tickets ( some of us even before the ticket arrived ). 

Those of us who wrote letters to him asking for details of his other designs like the DC receiver or the 4 X 807 amp got
back a fat envelope loaded with all the information, his patience and endurance to answer the budding hams was remarkable
and uncommon indeed. I did make a 555 IC keyer from the ckt he sent me which did a fine job for a good number of years.

Though he had stopped homebrewing transmitters after he had acquired the kenwood TS520 and TS50, he was keen to
make a 4-400 amp and I recollect our friend Paddy, VU2PEB contributing a good deal of parts from his collection.

In the last couple of years, he was engrossed with a wide variety of HF Loop and other multiband antenna fed through a homebrew
ladder line and a balanced tuner, he shared the performance details and the new dx he worked with child like enthusiasm.

I also remember his attempts to design and develop a homebrew phasing type ssb transceiver in the pre-internet era in
the late 80s, the on the air performance left a lot to be improved upon. But those days I bet his only tools were the Analog multimeter
and the soldering iron.

I wish to share my profound grief of loosing a very nice ham and a good friend  with all my fellow hams, pray his soul rests in peace.

Pramod
VU2TTP

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

1 comment:

  1. I am very sad to hear about the death of Vasanth, VU2VWN.
    Only yesterday (1st December, 2015) i came to understand he passed away four years back.
    He was my Ham Radio Guru and guide. He Directed me in building my QRP Transceiver in 1988-89.
    We have spent hours in discussing various matters. Unfortunately, I could not meet him after 1990. May his soul rest in peace.

    Ali, VU2 FVY (North Paravur, Kerala)

    ReplyDelete